The Robert Noyce Teacher Scholarship program will begin in January 2014 and will continue for a five-year period. During the course of five years, the Robert Noyce Teacher Scholarship program will achieve the following objectives:
- Develop two new components of STEM/Teacher Education program at the College: Summer courses and a new four-year pathway for transfer students.
- Implement targeted recruitment strategies for the STEM/Adolescent Education Certification.
- Increase the number of undergraduate science or math majors pursuing a teaching career.
- Provide scholarships to qualified undergraduate science majors.
- Provide support to scholarship recipients that will enable students to persist and complete the program leading to certification.
- Increase the proportion of the College’s STEM population who enters and completes the teacher certification program during the five-year grant period.
- Provide teaching support to all scholarship recipients who complete the certification.
Dr. MaryEllen Sullivan, Assistant Professor and Chairperson for the Department of Teacher Education said of the grant, “We have a long-standing history of preparing students with the knowledge, skills, and values needed to teach successfully in diverse settings. This award is an acknowledgement of the high-quality education students receive at the College.”
This is the second grant awarded by the National Science Foundation. In July 2012, the College was awarded a five-year grant from the NSF’s Scholarships for Science, Technology, Engineering and Mathematics (S-STEM) grant program.
“Our College has been a national leader in science and science education,” said College president, Dr. Charles L. Flynn, Jr. “The National Science Foundation has cited us as the premier model for students in the sciences. We are all delighted that the Robert Noyce Teacher Scholarship program will make even more possible.”
About the College of Mount Saint Vincent
The College of Mount Saint Vincent is an academically excellent, authentically inclusive, Catholic and ecumenical liberal arts college. It combines a strong core curriculum with a full array of majors in the liberal arts and selected professional fields of study, including accounting, business administration, education, and nursing. Through its School of Professional and Continuing Studies, the College extends its primary undergraduate mission by offering high quality graduate studies in business, education and nursing and an array of undergraduate and certificate programs serving non-traditional students. Mount Saint Vincent is located on a pastoral campus in New York City, with easy access to all the educational, cultural, and recreational opportunities that the City affords.
Director for College Relations
Coordinator for Campus Events & College Relations