Position: Trio Academic Counselor
Reports to: Director of Trio Student Support Services
Status: Twelve Month, Part-Time (20hrs/week)
The Trio Student Support Services Program is a federally-funded program that provides academic and personal counseling, career advisement, tutoring, mentoring, and a wide range of activities geared toward the educational enhancement, cultural enrichment, and retention of first-generation, low-income students at the College of Mount Saint Vincent.
The Academic Counselor assists in the provision of individual and group counseling to selected Trio students. S/he provides programming geared to promoting students’ academic success. S/he conducts academic skills assessment and coursework evaluation. S/he provides support, motivation, and guidance in decision-making.
Duties and Responsibilities:
• Conduct one-on-one counseling sessions with students to address academic and personal issues, create actions plans for student success and maintain all records relevant to student profiles/progress. Address and diffuse situations of conflict and crisis; make appropriate referrals.
• Motivate and encourage students through day-to-day interactions and discussions.
• Provide workshops and lead activities in a variety of topics including academic, social, career, personal, financial and cultural.
• Assist in the development and execution of on-campus summer orientation program.
• Proactively collaborate with College-wide departments, faculty, tutors and academic support staff to advocate, identify and meet the academic needs of Trio students. Work closely with the director and staff to ensure accurate and efficient program evaluation and expansion.
• Bachelor's degree required preferably in education, counseling or social sciences.
• Experience counseling and/or advising college students strongly preferred.
• Demonstrated ability working with a diverse student population both individually and in groups. Experience working with academic youth programs, non-profits, or higher education with exposure to crisis-intervention and/or advocacy counseling.
• Excellent oral and written communication skills. Must be open-minded, non-judgmental and able interact with and advise diverse groups.
• Genuine interest in helping low-income and first-generation college students overcome challenges and progress through college.
• Must have an energetic, engaging, and positive personality and character with the ability to encourage students to seek guidance and participate in the program.
• Willingness to work flexible hours as needed, including on-campus overnight stay during Trio seven-day summer orientation program.
• Fluency of computer programs such as Microsoft Word, Excel, Publisher and PowerPoint. Ability to learn new computer database systems.
Compensation: 20k annual salary. No health-related benefits. Position includes vacation, sick and personal time. The position is grant funded and continuation is contingent upon grant funding availability.
Send a cover letter and resume to:
Please write Trio Counselor in subject line of your submission.
The College of Mount Saint Vincent is an academically excellent, authentically inclusive, Catholic and ecumenical liberal arts college with approximately 1,500 undergraduate students and 300 graduate students located in the Riverdale section of the Bronx,
New York City. Our beautiful 70-acre campus of rolling lawns and wooded hills overlooking the Hudson River is just 12 miles from midtown Manhattan.
College of Mount Saint Vincent is committed to provide equal opportunity, employment, and advancement opportunities to all individuals. The College of Mount Saint Vincent does not discriminate in employment opportunities or practices on the basis of race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, national origin, age, disability, marital status, amnesty, or any other characteristic protected by Federal, State, or Local Laws