• the life and safety of all members of the Mount community,
• an organized and orderly response to the emergency, and
• the resumption of normal activities on the College of Mount Saint Vincent campus
Send Word Now, the College Broadcast Email System and Website
In the event of a significant emergency or crime that could endanger the health and safety of the Mount community, a timely warning via the “Send Word Now” notification system will be issued by the Director of Campus Safety and Security or designee. In some cases, such notice is to be issued immediately. When circumstances allow time for consultation, such notice is to be issued after conferral with members of the Emergency Management Team and the Emergency Response Personnel.
The College Broadcast Email System and Website will also be used to issue notification and to keep the Mount community informed of:
• the nature of an emergency
• instructions to be followed
• additional steps to be taken to mitigate the emergency
Timely updates will be provided as appropriate to keep the Mount community safe and informed, and to reiterate instructions to be followed.
The notifications will also serve to prevent any baseless rumors that could possibly occur.
In the event of an emergency or a crime:
1) If there is an immediate threat to life and safety, call 911
2) Notify Campus Security by calling the main security booth at (718) 405-3434 or (718) 548-2116. The main booth is staffed 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. The booth will notify the Security Supervisor and proper emergency personnel.
3) Emergency call boxes located at:
a) Main entrance of Alumnae Hall/Mastronardi Hall
b) Main entrance of Spellman Hall
c) Main entrance of Marillac Hall
d) Main entrance of the Peter Jay Sharp Athletic and Recreation Center
e) West side of Villa parking lot
f) 261 Street at the rear of the Science building
g) 261 Street at the entrance to the Marillac parking lot
Press the “call” button. Security personnel at the main booth will answer the call and will forward the information to the Security Supervisor who will respond to the incident location and notify appropriate emergency response personnel.
Click to see Emergency Phone Numbers
Emergency Management Team
The Emergency Management Team:
• Incident Commander - (the senior Security Supervisor until the arrival of) the Director or Assistant Director of Campus Safety and Security.
• Vice President for Student Affairs
• Vice President for Operations
In an emergency that requires relocation, evacuation, or shelter in place, the Incident Commander (or designee) will notify the Emergency Management Team and the appropriate emergency personnel.
The President, Provost and all Vice Presidents will be subsequently and promptly notified and join the Emergency Management Team, as they are able and required to do so. (see chart below)
The Vice President for Operations will notify the President and Vice Presidents and the appropriate emergency personnel. Subsequent notifications will follow the notifications flow chart below. Pertinent information will be exchanged between Security, emergency personnel, and members of the Emergency Management Team to determine the best course of action to address the emergency. Members of the Emergency Management Team will continue to contact members in the flow chart until someone is reached.
Emergency Management Team Notification Flow Chart
Evacuations and Relocations
If an evacuation of a building(s) is deemed necessary by the Emergency Management Team after conferral with the proper emergency response authority:
1) All persons will be directed by Campus Security personnel to proceed in a calm and orderly manner to one of two locations.
The Grace Center - a Command Post will be established in the office of the Director of Athletics and Recreation located in the Peter Jay Sharp Athletic and Recreation Center. Persons will be sent to Hayes Auditorium and if necessary, the old gym. Temporary sleeping accommodations will be maintained via cots in the new gym, as needed. The Emergency Management Team will gather at the Command Center.
Hudson Heights – A Command Post will be established in the office of the Food Service Director located in Hudson Heights. Persons will be directed to remain in the dining room area. The Emergency Management Team will gather at the Command Center.
2) All persons will remain at the relocation site until advised by Campus Security.
3) Communications will be established and maintained among the emergency response personnel, Incident Commander, and Emergency Management Team to ensure an effective teamwork approach and resolution to the emergency.
4) In the event of a large-scale emergency that requires the evacuation of everyone from the campus grounds, the 261st Street gate will be opened to provide an additional point of egress, in addition to the main entrance at 263rd Street. Once off the campus grounds, the evacuees will be directed by Security or emergency personnel to one of two short term, relocation sites, the Hebrew Home or Saint Margaret’s Parish.
Shelter in Place
In the event of an emergency on campus, such as an active shooter or hostage situation, an order to “shelter in place” will be issued by the Incident Commander (Director of Campus Safety and Security/designee) through “Send Word Now” the College Broadcast Email System, and if possible, the College website. All persons present on campus MUST follow instructions from the Incident Commander and responding emergency personnel.
The Incident Commander will consult with the Emergency Management Team by phone as time and safety permits.
Shelter in place means to stop class, work and business operations. Every person must stay within the room in which s/he is located and lock any windows or doors.
No person shall leave the room in which they are sheltered without explicit instructions/notifications from the Incident Commander or responding emergency personnel.