This combined 80-hour billing and coding course offers the skills necesary to solve insurance billing problems, file claims manually (using the CPT and ICD-9 manual), complete common insurance forms, trace delinquent claims, appeal denied claims and use generic forms to streamline billing procedures.
The topics covered in the program include:
- CPT (Introduction, Guidelines, Evaluation and Management)
- specialty fields (such as surgery, radiology and laboratory)
- ICD-9 (Introduction and Guidelines) and basic claims processes for medical insurance and third party reimbursements
- students will learn how to find the service and codes using manuals, (CPT, ICD-9 and HCPCS).
After accumulating the practical work experience (6 months to 2 years), students who complete this course could be qualified to take:
- the American Academy of Professional Coders (AAPC) - Certified Professional Coder Exam (CPC or CPC-H Apprentice)
- the American Health Information Association (AHIMA) Certified Coding Associate (CCA) exam
- other National Certification Exams