The Page Cannot Be Found
Academic Standing
A student is in good academic standing if he/she is enrolled as a matriculated student of the College and maintains the following minimum index:
  • Freshman (0-29 credits)-a cumulative index of 1.7 and 50% of attempted credits successfully completed.
  • Sophomore  (30-59 credits)-a cumulative index of 1.9 and 50% of attempted credits successfully completed.
  • Junior  (60-89 credits)-a cumulative index of 2.0 and 60% of attempted credits successfully completed.
  • Senior   (90 credits and over)-must maintain a cumulative index of 2.0 and 65% of attempted credits successfully completed to be eligible for graduation.

In addition, please note that a student must maintain a 2.0 grade point average is necessary by the end of four semesters in college in order to continue receiving any federal or state financial aid.

Academic Warning
A student whose academic performance is at or near the above stated minimum may receive a warning letter. The letter is intended to make the student aware of the necessity for increased effort in order to reach or maintain acceptable grade levels for continued matriculation.

Academic Probation
A student whose cumulative index is near or below the minimum requirement may be dismissed, or may, in special cases, be placed on probation.  A student on academic probation is restricted to 15 credits and cannot play a role in any class, club, organization or sports activity on campus during that semester.
See Student Handbook for policy concerning social probation.

Academic Suspension
A student whose cumulative index drops below 2.0 at the end of the junior year or during senior year will not be permitted to continue matriculation until this minimum index has been reached. The student will be carried as a part-time student (can only register for 9 or fewer credits per semester) until this deficiency is made up during subsequent sessions.

Social Suspension
See the Student Handbook for policy concerning disciplinary suspensions.

Students are subject to academic dismissal when they: 
• Do not maintain the above minimum indices.
• Do not successfully complete one half of the attempted credits in any year.
• Earn an index of 1.0 or lower in any semester.

Financial Aid recipients should refer to the Financial Aid brochure for academic progress policies.

Dismissal Appeals
A student has the right to appeal any decision made by the Academic Review Committee.  The appeal must be made to the Vice-President for Academic Affairs (VPAA) (or his/her designee) in writing ten business days from the receipt of the decision and must state in detail the grounds on which the student seeks to have the action of the Academic Review Committee modified or reversed. The VPAA will set up an appeal panel of three faculty members to hear the student’s appeal. The panel will meet with the student and the VPAA within ten business days after the appeal is received.  The VPAA will then inform the student in writing by certified mail of the panel’s decision.  When the VPAA has appointed a designee, the student may appeal the decision to the VPAA.  The decision of the Vice President for Academic Affairs is final.

Leaves of Absence
Leaves of absence for one semester may be granted in certain circumstances at the discretion of the Vice President for Academic Affairs. Credits earned at other colleges
while a student is on leave of absence are accepted only with approval of the Vice President of Academic Affairs.

Withdrawal from the College
A student in good standing may apply for withdrawal from the College before the last day of classes for the semester. The student must complete an EXIT interview process in the Office of Academic Advisement. This will include notifying the Registrar, in writing, and giving the effective date of withdrawal as well as the completion of other important steps. The student will be directed to the offices that need to clear him/her for withdrawal.  Students who stop attending classes and fail to officially withdraw (as outlined above) from the College are completely responsible for all tuition and fees and failing grades may be issued to him/her. For the refund policies in case of withdrawals, please see “Tuition and Fees” section of this catalogue. The College also may, at any time, dismiss a student whose academic performance is unsatisfactory or whose conduct is detrimental to the welfare of other students.

Withdrawal from a Course
Students who wish to withdraw from a course, with no academic penalty, must meet with their academic advisor and complete a withdrawal form no later than the dates
specified in the College Calendar. Students must inform the instructor and return class materials. Students who do not follow this procedure maintain course registration and are assigned a grade of “F”. Courses dropped after the specified dates will be assigned a grade of “WF” and will be entered on the student’s permanent record (transcript). Nursing majors should see page 149 for additional limitations regarding withdrawals in the Nursing program. Students who have excess credits will still be charged for courses from which they withdraw.

Pass/ No Credit
The purpose of the Pass/No Credit option is to encourage the student to explore electives outside known areas of competency. One P/NC course may be taken each
semester beginning in the second semester of sophomore year, provided the student is carrying at least 12 credits of courses with letter grades for that semester. The
P/NC option may be exercised for any course except for core curriculum requirements, courses in the major field, and cognate requirements of the major. The P/NC option form is signed during the third week of the semester.

When extenuating circumstances (e.g. illness) prevent the completion of requirements for a course, the student must submit a Request for a Grade of Incomplete form to the
instructor for his/her signature. Forms, which are available in the Registrar’s Office, must be returned to that office prior to the end of the semester. The deadline for
completing the course requirements will be set by the instructor, but in no case will be later than the fourth week of the following semester. An “I” grade in a January
Intersession must be completed during the immediately following Spring semester. An “I” grade in a Summer Session must be completed during the following Fall semester.

In rare cases when a student has met the “IP” criteria in either ENGL114 or ENGL115 but still needs more instruction before meeting the exit criteria of the course, the instructor may deem an “IP” grade appropriate. A list of the criteria is available from the Director of Writing. Instructors awarding an “IP” grade must notify the Director of Writing so that there is a record of the number of times the grade has been given to a particular student. Students can receive an “IP” grade no more than twice. The third “IP” grade would result in an “F”.

Any required course in which a student receives an “F” grade must be repeated, usually in summer school. The original “F” remains part of the cumulative index. Major courses in which a student receives a “D” must be repeated if the department requires a minimum of “C”. The original “D” remains part of the index but the credit does not
count toward graduation.