Department Statement of Purpose and Learning Outcomes
The Department of Business and Economics at the College of Mount Saint Vincent is a student-centered learning community dedicated to preparing undergraduate and graduate students for employment or advanced study in economics or business, as well as for ethical and responsible citizenship and leadership roles in business and society, both nationally and internationally.
The Department engages students in active learning and facilitates their development of analytical, critical thinking, communication and problem-solving skills. Department faculty are active scholars, focused on teaching and engaged in service to the CMSV and broader community as well as in ongoing professional development.
Department Learning Outcomes (Undergraduate and Graduate)
Students completing an undergraduate degree in Business and Economics at the College of Mount Saint Vincent will be able to:
1) Demonstrate general business knowledge.
2) Understand global interconnectivity, cultural diversity, and diverse international business issues.
3) Demonstrate business research skills.
4) Solve problems that require use of critical, analytical, and quantitative thinking skills.
5) Communicate and exchange information with clarity, proficiency and breadth.
6) Demonstrate information literacy.
7) Function effectively in teams to accomplish a common goal.
8) Understand social responsibility and business ethics and the impact of business decision-making.
9) Interpret economic data.